How to make home made cheese or Paneer, just a few steps to a proper treat which you can have during breakfast, use as part of your indian dishes or just eat on its own.
- 1L unpasteurized Whole Milk – 62 rupees
- 3 Lemons (4 lemons for 10 rupees)
- Cheese Cloth (32 rupees for 1 meter)
- 1 Teaspoon salt – 1 rupees
- Get the milk to boil – not scorching boil but hot enough so that froth and small bubbles start appearing on the surface
- While you are heating it up, constantly stire and make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Once it reaches its boiling state – turn off the fire.
- Squeeze the juice of those 3 lemons into a cup and pour it into the milk. Mix
- The curd(white pieces) will separate from the whey (transparent liquid)
- Leave for 10 minutes
- Pour through the cheese cloth to collect all the curd – you can use the whey later on for other cheeses like ricotta – (which I still have to try)
- Put the curd onto a plate, break it up, add the salt and kneed i together well. Add again to the cheese cloth.
- Once all whey has drained – You have your cheese.
You can eat it warm, or put it into a container and cool it down in the fridge. In my version on the cheese, I added some blackpepper, as its a condiment I use always with cheese. You can add anything you wish. While serving I recommend adding a bit of olive oil on top.
The cheese which comes by using lemon juice becomes hard, there are other means of seperating the curd from the whey which yield softer home made cheese. – These I will describe once I try them myself.