How to make Lassooni Palak (Garlic Spinach)
Lassooni Palak / Garlic Spinach dish is probably a generic dish which is used in many cuisines. For me, the first time I tried it, was at an Italian restaurant in Gran Canaria. It was served with a toasted baguette which was sliced – you were to get a spoonful of spinach and spread it on top of the bread – to enjoy as a starter with drink. This version of lassooni palak is more Indian oriented – it tasted pretty much like the Sindhi Palak recipe but much more bitter.
Ingredients List –
- 2 x Spinach Bunch
- 1 x Chopped Potato
- 1 x Garlic (Whole piece, chop them all)
- 1 x Finely chopped onion
- 1/2 Fresh Coriander Bunch
- 1 x Chilli / Non Chilli Pepper (optional)
- 1 x Tomato (optional)
- 1 x Tsp – Garam Masala, Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) powder
- 1/2 x Tsp – Red Chilli (Coloring – not spicy)
- In a pressure cooker – add the onion and garlic – move until light brown (under no circumstance let it burn).
- Mix in the potatoes.
- Add the garam masala, jeera and dhaniya powder – mix well.
- Add the red chilli powder.
- DONE –
- Optional – I like my spinach to have a tangy taste – this is usually achieved by adding tomatoes – I did not have them this time – so I added some aamchoor. (unripened mango powder)
To be honest, this dish doesnt really have much variation when compared to the sindhi palak – it just has loads of garlic – hence the name.